Last February, I visited Girona with a special task in mind – the highlight of the trip was a 4-hour lunch at Celler de Can Roca. It turned out that the city was totally worth a day trip from Barcelona even if I did not have a reservation at that restaurant. Girona was unexpectedly charming and quaint. Here are 9 reasons why Girona is worth your time:
1. Girona or Gerona is the largest city in Northern Catalonia (Spain).
2. The reflection of pastel-coloured buildings on River Onyar reminds me of Florence (Italy).
3. Enjoy the fresh air and a sweeping view of the city as you walk up to Monestir de Sant Pere de Galligants.
4. Girona has many museums, including the award-winning Museu del Cinema.
5. Are you a fan of the high-ranking TV series Game of Thrones? The city of Braavos in this series was set in Girona.
6. Girona’s medieval architecture makes it become a time capsule.
7. Located on the highest point in the town, Cathedral of Santa Maria de Girona has the second largest single nave in the world.
8. Finished in the 20th century, the cathedral’s facade is impressive and is a blend of Baroque and Classical style.
9. Girona is home to El Celler de Can Roca, the world’s best restaurant in 2013 and 2015.
Reservations must be made 11 months in advance.
Needless to say, Girona is my kind of city, and I felt peaceful walking through its cobbled lanes.
Click here to explore other off-the-beaten-track places with me.